Home decor can bring an ordinary space to life, adding texture and colour to an otherwise drab room. Just as art can help create an interior masterpiece, so too can the art of arranging home decor. From the careful placement of lighting to the creative use of accent items, simple changes can help enhance any area to create a home you truly feel at home in. This article takes a look at the art of arranging home decor, providing a few simple tips to help unlock your inner interior designer.
1. Brightening Up Your Spaces with Decorative Touches
Bringing a bit of cheer to your home and workspace doesn’t have to be expensive or time consuming. Small and inexpensive decorations can go a long way when it comes to making your setting brighter and more inviting. Here are some ideas that you can use to dress up your space:
- Plants – Sprucing up your space with foliage is surprisingly easy! Adding a few potted plants or flowers to any room lifts the mood and brings a dose of nature indoors. No green thumb required!
- Wall Art – Artwork and prints add a lot of personality to your room and can be particularly impactful when hung on the walls. From minimalistic pieces to vibrant colors, you’ll be sure to find something that suits your tastes.
- Candles – As well as providing a softening light, scented candles establish an ambience, provide a nice scent, and instantly cozy up any room.
If you don’t have enough room for extra furniture, the above ideas are still applicable. Little trinkets and delicate objects, such as ceramic containers and figurines, can easily be placed on bookshelves and light tables. Simple changes to your space go a long way in making your surroundings feel fresh and inviting!
2. Re-Imagining the ordinary with the Extraordinary
If something has been done before, up to the same standard, is it possible to reimagine it and make it extraordinary? The answer is yes. With a few extra steps and a little thought, ordinary everyday tasks can become extraordinary, resulting in something extraordinary.
Take cooking, for example. To craft something extraordinary, break apart the components that make up a dish and start with the basics. Experiment with the flavors and textures of the ingredients, observe how they interact and change the overall dish. Utilize techniques:
These are the building blocks of crafting something extraordinary, and the possibilities are endless when we get creative.
3. Crafting Creative Color Combos in Home Design
Good color combinations can turn an average room into spectacular visual success. With an understanding of basic color theory, you can create intentional and beautiful pairings in your home. Here’s how to be your own interior design color expert.
- Understand the Basics. Explore the primary, secondary and tertiary color wheel. Learn about how the principles of how tints, tones and shades work – in design, these variations make all the difference.
- Don’t be Afraid to be Bold. Contrary to popular belief, bold colors can work harmoniously together. Identify vibrant and contrasting colors, while recognizing the small spaces that they can fit in. For example, try bright turquoise rugs in a room full of black and white decor.
- Consider the Space. Let the size of the space determine how much color is used. Choose subdued hues for smaller areas – in large spaces, you can go a little crazy by mixing many bold colors together.
- Think Outside the Lines. Generally speaking, adjacent colors on the color wheel look great together. But don’t be afraid to experiment with more daring combinations. Consider unexpected pairings like pink and brown, or green with orange.
- Remember the Lighting. Natural light coming in through the windows can affect the whole mood of a space. Bear in mind that painting a room a certain color during the day may look completely different in during the evening.
Stand out from the crowd with clever color combinations – a few brave strokes can turn your home into a work of art. With the right tips and tricks, you’ll be ready to start creating beautiful interior designs in no time.
4. How to Use Proportions and Scale to Optimize Your Decor
Using proportions and scale to your advantage when decorating inside your home helps you maximize your design potential. This tried-and-true trick adds just the right background to help enhance any type of decor you want to display in your home. With an understanding of how to correctly use proportions and scale, you can save time, money, and energy when decorating.
Start by measuring the space you’re looking to decorate and use that as a basis for the proportions and scale. You don’t have to be overly precise – just make a general estimate. Then, think about the furniture and area size you’ll need to accommodate the items. Doing this stage beforehand will help provide guidance to choosing the correct items and assist in styling the final look.
- When picking out furniture for your space, be sure to refer to the measurements and the general size of the room. Make sure the furniture won’t be too oversized or too small for the available space.
- A good guideline to follow – use small items to fill in and enhance the bigger items. Making use of the room’s vertical space is another way to create balance while also giving an airy feeling to the area.
- Don’t be afraid to try something different and experiment with visual proportions.The combination of different textures and items helps create a unique look and feel. Keep in mind that you don’t need all items to be perfectly aligned – sometimes the asymmetrical design creates a more compelling look.
Hopeful, inspired and with a newfound passion for decorating, we hope you now feel confident in taking the steps necessary to perfectly arrange any home. With enough creativity and an understanding of how to macrame complementary objects into an eye-catching arrangement, you can easily catapult your humble abode into the realm of elegant home decor.